The Portobello Dog made it’s debut on our menu in April 2015. This dish converted so many bacon hunters into mushroom lovers! It won’t be returning to our menu but the great news is you can now recreate this dish at home. Give the sauce some love, caramelise those mushrooms and marinate your tofu for an epic recipe ready for your summer bbq or simply a night in with good friends.
BBQ Sauce Shelf Life: 1 Month
- 1 white onion
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 2 Red chillies (Seeds removed and diced)
- Rapeseed oil
- 10 Sprigs thyme
- 10 Spring rosemary
- 10 Bay leaves
- 1 Small bunch coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika (Sweet)
- 6 Cloves 2 Oranges (Zest and juice)
- 200g Soft brown sugar
- 200ml Tomato ketchup
- 200ml Apple juice
- 4 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 300ml Water
- Using a food processor, blend the onions, garlic, chilli and a little oil to make a paste. Fry this in a saucepan for a few minutes.
- Blend the remaining herbs & spices, no need to pick leaves just throw in the blender, add this to the saucepan and cook for a few minutes until it smells fragrant.
Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until the required consistency is achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper, pass the sauce through a chinois then add to sterilised jars or suitable container.
Vegan Garlic Mayonnaise Shelf Life: 3 Days
- 300g Silken tofu
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 5 tsp Brown sugar
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 tsp White vinegar
1 tbsp Water
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until combined.
- Taste and adjust using the same ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container for a couple of hours before using.
Vegan Tofu ‘Feta’ Shelf Life: 3 Days
- 275g Firm tofu
- 60ml Lemon juice
- 125ml Water
- 125ml Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dried coriander
- 1 tbsp Dried parsley
- Remove the tofu from packaging and place underneath a heavy object with paper towel either side to firm up the tofu and extract any liquid. This will take approx. 30 – 45 mins.
- Cut the tofu into 1cm cubes and place in a container with all the other ingredients. Leave to marinate for at least 3 hours.
Vegan Mayo – Shelf Life: 5 Days
- 220ml Extra virgin rapeseed oil
- 120ml Soya milk
- 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Clove garlic (Crushed)
- Salt and pepper
- Add the oil, milk and vinegar to a plastic container, blend with an emersion blender until incorporated.
- Add the garlic and season.
Bringing it all together
- 2 Portobello mushrooms per person
- 1 Gluten free sub roll per dog
Best served with:
- Crispy fried shallots
- Triple cooked chips
- Extra BBQ sauce for dipping!
- Slice a gluten free sub roll lengthways down the middle, place under the grill for 45 seconds to crisp.
- Preheat a frying pan to a high heat until just smoking, then place a single layer of mushrooms in the pan.
- Spread a layer of garlic mayo on both inner sides of the roll, place a layer of lettuce and salad on the bottom.
- Once the mushrooms have browned, turn them once. Do not be tempted to move them as we want them crispy and caramelised
- When the mushrooms have browned on both sides, place in a bowl with 1 tbsp BBQ sauce and coat.
- Place mushrooms in roll on top of salad, add tofu feta and a handful of crispy shallots.